TRD’s April issue is live for subscribers!
The Real Deal’s April issue is live for digital subscribers and soon to hit doorsteps across the country.
A decade after the Silicon Valley legend Marc Andreessen proclaimed that “software is eating the world,” software is now eating the home.
Proptech startups — including iBuyers (Opendoor), brokerages (Compass), construction firms (Procore) and insurance companies (Lemonade) — have made waves with billion-dollar valuations and high-profile IPOs, and the sector is only growing. Investors poured $3.9 billion into 89 U.S. proptech deals during the first quarter of 2021, according to Pitchbook.
“It’s the golden age of real estate tech in many ways,” said Errol Samuelson, chief industry development officer at Zillow Group.
In this month’s magazine, we explore the ways in which tech and real estate have become intertwined, including
- The companies disrupting construction, homebuying, property management and more
- A profile of Zillow CEO Rich Barton, who wants to turn homebuying into a “one-click trade-in nirvana”
- eXp Realty founder Glenn Sanford on van life, the SPAC frenzy and the move from Keller Williams to a cloud-based, virtual brokerage
But that’s not all — other big stories on tap include
- The highly anticipated investment sales firm ranking
- REITs scoping out opportunities for privatization
- The push for — and against — banning single-family zoning
- The Manhattan condo market’s resurgence after an upside-down year
COMPANIES AND PEOPLE